Who Is Jesus?
This site is dedicated to the words of Jesus Christ. So you may be wondering, “Who is Jesus and why should I care what He said thousands of years ago.” Those are reasonable questions and the good news is that Jesus gave us the answers to those questions Himself.
We hear a lot about Jesus in our everyday lives. Whether it’s from T.V., radio, social media, from coworkers, family, and friends—either as a curse word or blessing—if you live in a free society you have an idea of who Jesus is. Some say He was a good teacher. Others say He is God or was simply a man who lived a long time ago.
So who is He? Why would millions and millions of people throughout the centuries profess Him as their Savior, even to the point of dying for this testimony? Why does He inspire so much trust and devotion?
I think it’s important to go directly to the source and see what Jesus said about himself.
Verses: [Note: Emphasis is mine]
Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.” John 14:6
- The Way to the Father –John 10:25-30 “…The works that I do in My Father’s name, they bear witness of Me. But you do not believe, because you are not of My sheep, as I said to you. My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand. My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father’s hand. I and My Father are one.”
- The Truth
- John 5:39 –” You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me.”
- John 5:46-47 – ” For if you believed Moses, you would believe Me; for he wrote about Me. But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe My words?”
- The Light
- John 8:12 – “I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life.”
- John 3:19 – “And this is the condemnation, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.”
- John 8:17 – “It is also written in your law that the testimony of two men is true.I am One who bears witness of Myself, and the Father who sent Me bears witness of Me.”
- The Messiah (Samaritan woman): “The woman said to Him, “I know that Messiah is coming” (who is called Christ). “When He comes, He will tell us all things.”Jesus said to her, “I who speak to you am He.” John 4:25-26
- Son of Man be lifted up: “No one has ascended to heaven but He who came down from heaven, that is, the Son of Man who is in heaven. And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life.” John 3: 13-15
- “Taught by God”/ “Bread of Life” – John 6:45-50 – ” It is written in the prophets, ‘And they shall all be taught by God.’Therefore everyone who has heard and learned from the Father comes to Me. Not that anyone has seen the Father, except He who is from God; He has seen the Father. Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me has everlasting life. I am the bread of life. Your fathers ate the manna in the wilderness, and are dead. This is the bread which comes down from heaven, that one may eat of it and not die.”
These are only a few of the many times Jesus said He was God, the Light of this world, the only way to salvation as the promised Messiah, and as the Bread of Life—the one who spiritually sustains us.
So, to answer your original questions, Jesus is God in the flesh, the creator of all things. We should listen to what He said because it’s through Jesus alone where we find the way to eternal life. He wasn’t just some man who lived a long time ago doing good works; He came down from heaven to save us from hell and to give us hope of a better life, an eternal life, with Him.