If you read the letters to the seven churches in the book of Revelation (Chapters 2-3), you’ll see Jesus Christ telling His churches what to expect if they “overcome”. If you “overcome”:
- You will “eat from the tree of life, which is in the midst of the Paradise of God.” (Rev. 2:7)
- You will “not be hurt by the second death.” (Rev. 2:11)
- The Lord will give you “some of the hidden manna to eat” (Rev. 2:17)
- The Lord will give you “a white stone, and on the stone a new name written which no one knows except him who receives it.” (Rev. 2:17)
- The Lord will give you “power over the nations.” (Rev. 2:26)
- The Lord will give you “the morning star” (Rev. 2:28)
- You will “be clothed in white garments.” (Rev. 3:5)
- The Lord “will not blot out [your] name from the Book of Life” (Rev. 3:5)
- The Lord “will confess [your] name before [His] Father and before His angels.” (Rev. 3:5)
- The Lord “will make [you] a pillar in the temple of [His] God, and [you] shall go out no more.” (Rev.3:12)
- The Lord “will write on [you] the name of [His] God and the name of the city of [His] God…and [He] will write on [you] [His] new name.” (Rev.2:12)
- The Lord “will grant [you] to sit with [Him] on [His] throne.” (Rev.2:21)
Totally amazing, right? Can you picture yourself receiving all these promised blessings? Imagine for a moment how you would feel living in eternity with Jesus personally bestowing any of these promises to you. Now picture living in eternity without these special blessings. Pretty sad to think of missing out on the Lord’s special blessings He has for those who overcome.
But “overcome” what exactly?
As you read the letters to the churches – and in the rest of the scriptures – you’ll find a common theme. The Lord wants us to overcome our sin and fleshy desires; to turn away from things that take priority over Him. He wants our FULL COMMITMENT to serve Him. If you’re doing anything that turns your attention from serving our holy God, then you’re in danger of missing out for eternity! If you have received Jesus Christ as your Savior and are born again, you will still be in the Lord’s kingdom, but you will not receive any of the special blessings listed above if you don’t grow in Christ and submit to God.
Here are some practical things you can do right now to enter eternity as an overcomer:
- Read your Bible daily. Set aside a good 45-60 minutes a day to learn what God expects of us. And you do have enough time…turn off the t.v., wake up earlier or stay up later, stay off social media, etc. If you truly have a desire to get close to God you will find the time. “The Bible will keep you from sin, or sin will keep you from the Bible.” – Dwight L. Moody
- Pray everyday. Not just at mealtimes or bedtime. The Bible tells us to “Pray without ceasing.” (1 Thessalonians 5:17). Pray throughout your day and set aside some special time to pray.
- Go to church – every church service. This seems like a tough one for a lot of people. Most people feel that as long as they go to one service a week or at least once in a while that God will be pleased. If you can’t be faithful in something so easy to do what will happen to you when something difficult happens in your life? I’m so grateful for my parents who taught me to love God and His people and His church. Now in my own family we consider going to church and serving one another a privilege and our way of life. I feel refueled every time I attend our church services: Sunday school, worship service, Sunday afternoon Bible study, and Wednesday night Bible study. We don’t schedule outside activities during these times – we consider these times a sacred time to set aside solely for the Lord. If you do the same I assure you you and your family will feel blessed and closer to God and each other.
What are some other ways you can be an overcomer?